Stone Age, Bronze Age and Iron Age sites are plentiful in the area.
A Bronze Age burial urn was found on Penlan Farm in 1938, and there are a number of Bronze Age burial chambers nearby including those on Mynydd Tre-beddau and Mynydd Rhos-wen.
On the edge of Llandysul is Craig Gwrtheyrn, an Iron Age hill fort, where it is believed Vortigern met his death.
Craig y Banc, in Pencader, was also an Iron Age hill fort and probably gave its name to the village.
The A485, running from Carmarthen to Lampeter, was originally part of Sarn Helen, a Roman road, that ran 160 miles from Carmarthen in the south to Aberconwy in the north.
The Battle of Pencader took place in 1041, between Hywel ab Edwin of Deheubarth and Gruffudd ap Llewellyn from Powys.
The motte and bailey castle in Pencader was built in 1145 by Gilbert de Clare, burnt down in 1146 and then re-built.
There are now only small remains of the enclosure known as Castell Du on the field immediately adjoining our own land, and the farm there still bears the same name.
The nearby villages of New Inn and Llanfihangel ar Arth were very important places in the days when livestock where driven to market and the cottage of Blaencwm, on the road from Llanfihangel ar Arth to Llanllwni, used to be the ‘Drovers Arms’. The Lanfihangel toll-house gate was destroyed in 1843 during the Rebecca Riots but the toll-house in nearby Alltwalis is still there.
The railway reached Pencader in 1864, which was an important wool centre at the time. It was the junction of the line as it split between Newcastle Emlyn and Lampeter. Although there were plans for the line to be extended to Cardigan these came to nought.